Friday, September 17, 2004

FW: I am a Mormon



Iroz

-----Original Message-----
From: Iroz, Dan
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 2:10 PM
To: 'Thomas P.M. Barnett'
Subject: RE: I am a Mormon

I am flattered! Thank you for your reply. And no... your entire logic
does not break down for me. We just disagree on who should be president
for the next four years. I was only "questioning" myself... you know...
that ongoing debate some of us (perhaps all of us) have with ourselves
throughout our lives.

I'll read your book and get back to you. I hope something between now
and November changes your mind, because whether today's world is fair in
their analysis of President Bush or not, I'm confident that history will
vindicate him.

I liken America and our current administration to the lone outsider in a
bad neighborhood, who unlike the others around him looking on and doing
nothing as thugs try to retain their hold on a fearful community who
"look the other way", because they really believe that's the only way to
survive in their part of town... who unlike them, stands up to these
bullies because this lone outsider has been blessed with the wherewithal
to do so... more importantly, because he knows he has been blessed
uniquely and he knows that much is expected of him. He steps up to the
plate and swings, even as the naysayers bemoan their perceived fate,
knowing this outsider has really pissed off these gang members this
time, and that, they'll be the ones to pay for it.

That is not "policing the world" and it is not "occupying the
neighborhood". It is being a "good Samaritan". It is helping someone in
need. Someone whom others avoid because it's too messy... it's too
inconvenient... or it's too risky.

Give your boss my best and thank him from me for his resolve and
determination.

And again Mr. Barnett, I thank you for your reply. I'll email you after
I've read your book.

Dan

p.s. I am glad I did indeed misunderstand what you meant by Mormons
within the "gap"... in the "gap", but not of the "gap" if you will. :)

p.s.s. And you are right about my inflexibility. Sometimes it can get
pretty evident. But I've made enormous strides in the last few years and
hope to make more in the future.



Iroz
-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas P.M. Barnett [mailto:t_p_m_barnett@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 12:09 PM
To: Iroz, Dan
Subject: RE: I am a Mormon

You need to read more carefully.

First, I get to support both Bush and Kerry. Bush as my current boss
and
president, Kerry as my preferred choice for the next four years. If my
entire logic breaks down for you on that basis, too bad. But that would
say
far more about your inflexibility than mine.

My closest collaborator and colleague just finished five years as bishop
of
his temple. The guy who hired me at the college is one of the 12 who
run
your church. Your faith is far from exotic. I wrote that Mormons are
growing in number in the Gap, not that they are a Gap religion. There
are
no Gap religions per se. All religions that exist there also exist in
Core.
Mormons growing in number in the Gap due to missionary work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home