Monday, September 13, 2004

More info and pictures from Afganistan.

-----Original Message-----From: Pace, Layne S. 211 AVN (BAF) [mailto:Pacel@baf.afgn.army.mil] Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 8:30 AMSubject: FW: Humanitarian Assistance Operations
Here is an article created by Afghanistan Public Affair Detachment. They asked if they could tag along on one of our trips. She got most of the info correct, some things a little off, but it's a good story. The name of the village is kind of close; most of the vowels are there anyway. The article is ½ thru the magazine. (Donations come from above to Afghan village).

We just returned a few hours ago from our last visit there. We returned Halima and her father Sharagha back after a week post eye surgery. She sees straight, and now speaks a little English and can count to ten with her fingers. Thanks to MANY of you we delivered 10 boxes of dresses, shoes, socks and everything else you packed, to her family.

Our challenge was once we landed to hold onto the boxes long enough for Sharagha (her father) to have them transported to his mud house over the ridgeline.

The large shipment of Humanitarian Items from SLC should be shipped by this weekend.

Our next task (goal) is to send a Medical Team out. While we were there today, we had a steady stream, again, of requests to send children back with us to be treated.
We did take Baborzee and his father back with us. He went with us the first time (with Halima) and was referred to a Kabul hospital. We helped write up the request for evaluation and treatment, but when Faizmohamad and Baborzee arrived in Kabul the hospitals were shut down for a 4 day holiday. He hitchhiked all the way back to his village with his 7 year old son. Today we made some phone calls and sent him out our main gate again to find a ride. He asked if I could go with him to Kabul, I had to decline. (If I didn't think I would get into some serious trouble with my Commander, I would be in Kabul right now)

I wish you could all be here to share in these experiences. I'm sure you would all want to pass on the combat flights. (Well most of you). They are stark opposites and contrasts from each other.



LAYNE S. PACE
CW5, AV
PaceL@baf.afgn.army.mil
(318) 231-2449

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home